08 April 2006

De-Supersizing

Today was a busy day, and after service tonight, I ended up taking Bekah and David out to McDonald's (Cindi had to bowl). But I told them before we went that we weren't ordering a bunch of food. Each of us got:

A cheeseburger
A small fries
A small shake

That's it. They protested at first, but we ate slowly and talked. And you know what? We walked away satisfied, just not stuffed. And I remembered that this is how much we ALWAYS used to eat at McDonald's back in the old days when I was a youngster. And it was sufficient.

I was reminded of the words of St. John Cassian: "They (the holy fathers) have not given us one single rule for fasting or a single standard and measure for eating, because not everyone has the same strength; age, illness, or delicacy of body create differences. But they have given us all a single goal: avoid over-eating and filling of our bellies." (On the Eight Vices)

I've decided that this is the way to go: forget the supersizing of everything under the sun! I hope I can convince the family that a little treat with thankfulness to God and walking away from the table without the belly-ache is most definitely worth it. : )

4 comments:

Wartburg said...

Pastor Weedon,
Greetings this Sunday. I was just reading your Mac BLOG while I was eating my Sunday Macaroni with GRAVY. I think your John Cassian comment is well said. Please, please, please keep the "Genus Maiestaticum..." going. For me this is the "real" issue. I like what you wrote that you've learned. Maybe they taught that in the sem. you went to but you weren't ready for it? I don't know I'm only asking a question? Believe me I can relate to "illumination". Holy Ghost style. Also did you read the new “issues etc” issue on the Greek Orth. who came into Lutheranism? Wow, what a great article, I thought.
Am I suppose to answer that tag on your BLOG? If so it's a lot of typing.
Salvatore
“Let me say here that fasting is not an evil; it is a good work. Nevertheless, it is not the resurrection and the life. Fasting may be a good work incumbent on me, but it is not something that is in heaven or something that descended from heaven; much less will it lead and take us to heaven.”-Martin Luther
Luther, M. 1999, c1957. Luther's works, vol. 22 : Sermons on the Gospel of St. John: Chapters 1-4 (J. J. Pelikan, H. C. Oswald & H. T. Lehmann, Ed.). Luther's Works. Vol. 22 (Jn 3:16). Concordia Publishing House: Saint Louis

Anonymous said...

cheeseburgers in Lent?! or at any time of year? You can do better:)
Paul in TN

Eric Phillips said...

Now what did Cassian say about milkshakes?

Just kidding. Good point. I'm sometimes surprised at how little food it actually takes to satisfy me, when I give myself the chance to find out.

William Weedon said...

LOL, Paul and Eric. Hey, fasting is relative, you know; for US that WAS a fast!!! Lord, have mercy. According to Western tradition, the fast is observed by eating LESS and abstaining from meat on Fridays. And it wasn't a Friday but a Saturday that we ate the cheeseburgers. ;)