31 May 2006

Eine kleine Nachtmusic

I just got back from Bible study and Compline.

Compline. There is something so beautiful about standing in a darkening Church still smelling of incense (thanks, Vicar!) and singing those ancient Psalms to Gregorian tones, knowing that we're praying and singing as Western Christians have prayed at nightfall since the days of St. Benedict. Almost like Cadfael is praying right along with us! If he ever existed, he would have been. What Ben Mayes gave to the Church with his Brotherhood Prayer Book is a treasure indeed. I can't help but think it will be a tad different when LSB is in the pews and we use that for this service...

Guide us waking, O Lord, and guard us sleeping, that awake we may watch with Christ, and asleep we may rest in peace. Lord, now lettest thou thy servant depart in peace...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alas, Br. Cadfael did not exsist, but at least one of the guys did exsist. I think it was the annoying know-it-all one who did exsist. All that is left of the abbey is one piece that looks suspiciously like an altar. Its in the middle of a parking lot, no less! Try doing Compline there!

Deb

William Weedon said...

You mean Prior Robert? I take it you visited Shrewsbury when you visited the Dixons? I didn't know that.

Chaz said...

I'm tempted to smoke it up for Pentecost, but don't worry... I'm not going to get you in that much trouble. ;-)

Besides... I'd have to get here at about 5 a.m.