22 May 2006

Patristic Quote for the Day

"Do not fear!" (John 20:36)

Do not fear, Peter, on account of your denial; John, on account of having fled; all of you, on account of having deserted me, of forming judgments about me with every one of your thoughts devoid of faith, and of still not believing even though you see me. Do not fear, it is I, who have called you by means of grace, have chosen and pardoned you, have sustained you by my steadfast kindness, have supported you with my love, and out of goodness alone I now take you back, because when a father receives his son, and when affections recovers its own, neither one is able to see any faults.

--St. Peter Chrysologus, Sermon 81, par. 3

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, i really dig this guy.

i really appreciate the patristic quotations, pastor weedon. keep up the good work.

drew.

William Weedon said...

Thanks, Drew. Guess what? I just checked out two more volumes of his stuff. I'm in HOG heaven!

Rev. Jim Roemke said...

Pastor Weedon,
That is so beautiful that I had to post it on my blog as well. I, of course, cited you! Thank you for making these wonderful quotes available. You better have those volumes returned to the seminary by the time I get back!