17 January 2007

Luther and the Jesus Prayer

I couldn't help but think of the wonderful use of the Jesus prayer "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner" as I read today's portion of the Large Catechism:

"...children should be constantly urged and moved to honor God's name and have it always upon their lips for everything that may happen to them or come to their notice." (LC I:70)

"To confuse the devil, I say, we should always have this holy name in our mouth, so that the devil may not be able to injure us as he wishes." (LC I:72)

Always on their lips...always in our mouth...the holy name of Jesus:

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner!

1 comment:

Rev. Jim Roemke said...

Pr. Weedon,
The Jesus Prayer is a wonderful way to getinto the habit of calling upon the name of the Lord in all times and places. It is no exaggeration to say that it has changed my devotional life and has wonderfully strengthened my faith.