05 February 2007

An Apology

My good friend, Chris Jones, has pointed out that in my previous post on "You have no right to exist" the words "[Tne Lutheran Church] remains a Church unable to hide her warts and blemishes behind the smoke of incense or the supposed sanctity of her clerics" by their implication are both unkind and untrue. I confess that they were written in a passion of anger (over someone being taught to doubt salvation - something which STILL angers me) and I should know by now that it is NEVER good to write in anger, it never serves the purposes of God. I have met some of the hierarchs of the Orthodox church and have the utmost respect for them; to a man they possessed a humility that I regard as THE hallmark of genuine Orthodoxy, of genuine Christianity. So I do beg forgiveness from any Orthodox or Romans whom I offended with my angry words. Even though I do not believe that the Church is guaranteed or built upon any succession of bishops, I am thankful when bishops witness in peace and joy to the salvation that has come into the world in Christ, to the love that embraces sinners and brings them home. Meanwhile, pray for this poor sinner.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a good man, Pastor.

Now remember Lent is nigh upon us and don't let that observation ruin that good old Lutheran guilt. 8>)

On the doubting, recall the words of Jary Pelikan, some of the last he uttered, "If Christ is Risen, nothing else matters. If Christ be not risen, nothing matters."

Chaz said...

I will pray for you, as always, but I don't think you sinned in your post.