28 March 2007

Oh, Another Feature of This Year's Vespers

was using each Wednesday night the Psalms appointed for the Wednesday evenings of Lent in LSB. Thus, we used Psalm 141 (appointed at each Evening Prayer), Psalm 27, and Psalm 51. We did not vary the Psalms with the week, but prayed them over and over again. Those are words that need to sink deep into our souls, and how will they do so if we do not use them repeatedly?

"One thing have I desired of the Lord... to behold the beauty of the Lord... the Lord will take me up... the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living."

"Have mercy... blot out my transgression... in sin did my mother conceive me... wash me and I shall be whiter than snow... Create in me a clean heart, O God... a broken and contrite heart, O God."

I notice that Psalms 27 and 51 are also part of the Good Friday Tenebrae Vespers. Six times in six weeks is not too much to make these prayers our own.

No comments: