26 April 2007

Patristic Quote of the Day

What the law of works enjoins by menace, that the law of faith secures by faith. The one says, "You shall not covet;" Exodus 20:17 the other says, "When I perceived that nobody could be continent, except God gave it to him; and that this was the very point of wisdom, to know whose gift she was; I approached unto the Lord, and I besought Him." Wisdom 8:21 This indeed is the very wisdom which is called piety, in which is worshipped "the Father of lights, from whom is every best giving and perfect gift." James 1:17 This worship, however, consists in the sacrifice of praise and giving of thanks, so that the worshipper of God boasts not in himself, but in Him. 2 Corinthians 10:17 Accordingly, by the law of works, God says to us, Do what I command you; but by the law of faith we say to God, Give me what Thou commandest. - St. Augustine, *On the Spirit and the Letter* chapter 22

No comments: