25 May 2007

Fun day

Nothing to get up for especially early today (my day off), so the alarm this morning was Lucy. Her wet nose is somehow far more shocking than any sound from an electronic box. After breakfast, Cindi and I headed over to St. Louis. I had some shopping to do at CPH (picked up ANOTHER Pastoral Care Companion -- just to keep in the van, and the little booklet of collects Pastor Vieker referred to earlier), then off for lunch part one at Olympia. Yum! We split an order of flaming cheese (Opa!) and then a gyro salad. We got to eat outside and were highly entertained by some wrens who definitely were interested in their fair share of our food.

After enjoying Greek we hopped on the highway and headed to Galaria for the second half of lunch - and a belated birthday celebration for Cindi. We got the low-carb cheesecake at the Cheesecake Factory. Sadly, the "coffee" they brought was SEE THROUGH. But the cheesecake made it not matter. Heavenly!

Then off to ANOTHER mall - West County - to pick up Lauren's computer. It had needed a brain transplant. And no, she hadn't backed it up. She's bumming. Then back home to start reinstalling software and updates etc. It is still updating itself beside me as I type.

Had a great discussion with Dean - near-future son in law - about commentaries. He wanted to know which ones I use. I had to tell him: I don't. In general I find them utterly useless. They tell me what I already knew and do not offer any real answers to the questions I have. I did suggest running through the Fathers and how they looked and thought about the text. I'll wait to give him the real key later: how does the Church's liturgy help us see what a text means. : )

In a bit Jo and Dave are coming over for cards. Liverpool, I suspect. Dean and Lauren might be back to join us (they're at dinner with Tim and Lynn) and David may or may not join in. He's at the movies with his sister now, but I suspect he'll be moving back into World of Warcraft and only visiting planet earth again sometime in the wee hours of the morning. Bekah is headed to "Bonifest" - the carnival that St. Boniface puts on each year down in Edwardsville. She's going with some friends.

8 comments:

Rev. Paul T. McCain said...

It was great to see you and nice of you to take a moment to come up and say hello. Oh, wait. You didn't.

William Weedon said...

Hey, I didn't think ANYONE got past the sentinel at the gate (i.e., the lady at the desk). I've never been anywhere in CPH but the bookstore. Figured you guys kept it locked up for a reason. : )

Anonymous said...

Pastor Weedon,
Does the book of collects have the nice sticky strip so that it stays in the hymnal??

Also, since you have a .Mac account do you use it to backup your computer. Using my .Mac and back-up has made backing up all my important files daily a cinch.

Sam

William Weedon said...

Sam,

No sticky strip.

My .mac account is filled to nearly full by my son's....STUFF, shall we say? I have a $100 external drive I use to back up. The backup program by Apple does make it virtually care-free. All I need to do is remember to make sure that before going to bed the drive is connected. Backup does all the rest. I also moved over to that backup drive programs and such that I don't use regularly. It was a drive advertised to work only with PC. Yeah, right. I just bought it and had the Mac reformat it and it's been working great.

Rev. Paul T. McCain said...

We do have to keep the interior doors to the building locked due to security concerns. We are not in the best part of town.

But..the very nice ladies at the desk will gladly phone me and say, "There is somebody here to see you" and then they'll send you upstairs to the palatial corporate office wing of the building.

Next time you are in, do be sure to say "howdy."

Anonymous said...

McCain: ...and then they'll send you upstairs to the palatial corporate office wing of the building.

I thought that was the International Center!

WM Cwirla said...

Ah, the Olympia Kabob House. I really miss that place. Best souvlaki and pastitsio in town. Their dolmatas are also most excellent. It was almost a weekly event when we lived in St. Louis.

And you simply must wash it all down with a
Black & Tan, for which Olympia has a very nice touch.

Chaz said...

There's a new Greek place on south Hampton, but I can't for the life of me remember the name. The food is better than Olympia (and I've had the souvlaki), but they don't have the nifty outdoor seating.

Well, it was new a year and a half ago.