13 June 2007

Patristic Quote of the Day

We have a good Lord, Whose will it is to forgive all, Who called you by the prophet and said: "I, even I, am He that blots out your transgressions, and I will not remember, but you remember that we may plead together." "I," He says, "will not remember, but remember," that is to say, "I do not recall those transgressions which I have forgiven you, which are covered, as it were, with oblivion, but remember them. I will not remember them because of My grace, remember them in order to correction; remember, you may know that the sin is forgiven, boast not as though innocent, that you aggravate not the sin, but you will be justified, confess your sin." For a shamefaced confession of sins looses the bands of transgression. - St. Ambrose, On Repentance, Book II, par. 40

No comments: