06 May 2008

Purple Iris and Yard Woes

I can look out my office window and see a purple iris blooming right at the side of the garage. I don't know why, but they always remind me of things Japanese. Maybe the top of the flower looks a bit like that traditional get-up the Japanese women wear. Today too Cindi and I noticed the standing phlox were beginning to bloom - they're a huge butterfly attractor. And speaking of "not so nice" - we noticed that our little fish pool in the backyard has become a massive mosquito breeding ground. YUCK. We need to get that cleaned up a.s.a.p.! Cindi and Bekah invited me outside to see what they thought were hundreds of thousands of "tadpoles." Not so much. I recognized them in horror and dumped a ton of bleach into the thing, but it didn't seem to kill them off as I wished it had. Mosquitoes have always regarded me as a tasty treat, and I'm not about to BREED the danged things out there for feasting on me!!!

5 comments:

Elephantschild said...

There are dissolvable tablets you can drop into ponds that kill the mosquito larvae but leave the plants and other creatures unharmed.

Hardware stores have them with the other water gardening supplies - the ones I bought a few years ago were called "Mosquito Dunks" I think.

William Weedon said...

THANK you! This afternoon I'll be off looking for some!

Pr. H. R. said...

If it weren't so expensive, gasoline works wonders.

+HRC

Elephantschild said...

Yeah, and you can serve coleslaw and beer in the aftermath, right Pastor HR?

Shepherd said...

napalm the suckers. (Air Force coming outta me.)