17 July 2009

Last Week

I attended a break-away session with Pr. Keseman on evaluating music for church. He asked the group: How many of you would like to have the kind of music you listen to at home be what you hear in church?

I didn't raise my hand, because I knew I was a total weirdo on this. But I DO listen to the Church's music pretty much whenever I am listening to music at all. When I do my workouts, I've been playing over and over again CPH's fabulous Heirs of the Reformation on my iPod; I can't seem to get enough of it. I'd do the same for the Luther Hymns, except for the annoying interpolation of quotes from Luther on the topic of music. They need to re-release that WITHOUT the yacking.

So, don't tell Pr. Keseman, but yeah, I DO want the music I hear at Church to be the same as what I listen to at home... :)

8 comments:

Rev. Alan Kornacki, Jr. said...

You're a weirdo anyway . . .

But while I listen to other music, too, I often listen to church music at home and at the office. I've got the Praetorius Christmas mass on my iPod, Heirs of the Reformation, Faure's Requiem, a bunch of Rutter, and three year's worth of music from the Bronxville Tour Choir, among other things. (It would be four, but the Germany Tour tape never happened.)

Past Elder said...

I listen to Luther all the time at home -- Luther Allison.

Cha said...

If you are weird, then I am weirder. I'm not even Lutheran (anymore), but my mp3 player is full of National Lutheran Choir recordings, and my car is full of Bach CDs.

Rev. James Leistico said...

maybe that's why you're losing your hearing... too much cranking up the iPod

WM Cwirla said...

I'd love to hear Alison Krauss in church.

Pastor Peters said...

Like you, I listen to the choral music of the Church, to organ music, and to classical music of nearly every era... But it is not what I want to hear in Church that counts... it is what best accompanies the Word so that, like a good marriage, they go together in such a way that one is not before the other or behind, but together they form a unity that gives voice to the Word in tone as well as speech...

If it is contemporary and it does this, use it... if it is of a prior generation and it does this, use it...

Rev. Alan Kornacki, Jr. said...

Fr. Cwirla--Alison Krauss can sing wherever she wants, as far as I'm concerned.

Elaine said...

Ipods are great I have a real mix on mine for workouts but also added Bach's Eine Feste Burg ist Unser Gott and the Alleluia Chorus they are just so inspiring and uplifting.