04 May 2012

So it's Friday afternoon...

...after my first week of life at the Synod's International Center.  I have to confess:  I LOVED IT.  Don't get me wrong:  I'm still totally lost and over my head.  I figure that will take a while to sort out.  But what joys.  Conversations with Barb, with Chris, with Annette, with Tina, with Jon, with Bart, with Henry, with Rich, with Ben, with Albert, with Al, with Terry H and Terry D and the list goes on and on.  I left Rachel out because mostly it's not conversations at this point:  she's the instructor and I'm her very learning challenged pupil.  But she is a woman of remarkable patience and tact.

Getting a glimpse of the Synod's wide reach and work has also been an eye-opener.  I've encountered a number of items that I said:  Hmm, I didn't know we DID that and I wish I had known it when I was a parish pastor. 

What surprised me most?  All the laughter.  There was a great deal of joy in that place.  I don't think I expected that, but I should have.  Of course, I think that our National Missions must top the place in joy.  Let's just say I was delighted at our first ONM meeting - our jovial leader sets the tone.  But Bill C runs him a close second.

What frustrated me most?  How fast each day flew!  I'd look up and think:  "Goodness!  It can't be that late already!!!"  I've got a pile of things to attend to already on Monday morning, but they'll have to wait till AFTER the official Installation Service.

Anywho, the first week under the belt - and slowly, ever so slowly, starting to acclimate.  Now, for some cards and to beat Jo in liverpool - first things first, after all.

Christ is risen!  He is risen indeed!  Alleluia!

5 comments:

PrDLH said...

Pr. Weedon,
Your insight as to what would have been helpful to have known as a parish pastor would be great to hear for those of us in the parish still.

I look forward to your insights and list which ever would be easiest. As well as suggestions for using these tools in the parish.
YIC,
Pr. Darian L. Hybl

Becky said...

This is terrific news, Pastor. It's so nice to hear you are loving the work. Do you know the story about the two boys who were the objects of a sociology study concerning optimism and pessimism? Well, you remind me of one of those boys. And that's a good thing. :)

William Weedon said...

Becky,

LOL. I always tend to think of myself more as the pessimist. Odd, what?

Darian,

Let me give you just one to check out: http://www.lcms.org/page.aspx?pid=627

Think Laborers for Christ but these are helpers in outreach instead - older folks lending their aid. And I had never heard of it before!!!

The Rev. BT Ball said...

Hey, it was great to see you there. Being filled with joy and laughter will certainly get you through in that place, especially with Bart around the cubicles. I trust you will serve the church and large and the dear ones gathered in that chapel with faithfulness and the joy that is Christ.

William Weedon said...

Ben,

Was great seeing you - and thanks for the encouraging words. Keep the whole venture in your prayers!