02 June 2014

Random Thoughts in Praying the Ten Commandments

I've written earlier how I like to spend part of my commute in meditating on the Catechism. Makes the miles fly and occupies my mind with things that are eternally worthwhile (as opposed to the news which is always much the same... money and war). This morning in praying the Ten Commandments a few thoughts came to mind that I'd not had before:

Honor your father and your mother.

To this the prayer: Lord God, heavenly Father, grant me the grace of Your Holy Spirit so to fear and love You that I may not despise my parents and other authorities, but honor them, serve and obey them, love and cherish them, through Jesus Christ, our Lord.

I only have one parent left here - Cindi's dad, Dave. And yet it occurred to me that this commandment doesn't expire with death. I still pray that I may honor my mother and father and mother-in-law by not despising the wisdom that they taught me through my early years. I still can obey them! And certainly we love and cherish our parents even long after they have ended their earthly pilgrimage. Death is no barrier to the God of the living or to the people who believe in resurrection.

You shall not commit adultery.

To this the prayer: Lord God, heavenly Father, grant me the grace of Your Holy Spirit so to fear and love You that I may lead a chaste and decent life in what I say and do and that Cindi and I may love and honor each other; through Jesus Christ, our Lord.

But today an added prayer for the families of our nation and of our world, where marriage is so misunderstood, so undervalued, so NOT the blessing that God intended it to be for us. A prayer that husbands and wives throughout the land may reflect in all their dealings with each other the Heavenly Bridegroom and His Bride, so that young people will not despise this sacred institution, but come to honor it and long to enter it.

You shall not covet your neighbor's house.

To this the prayer: Lord God, heavenly Father, grant me the grace of Your Holy Spirit so to fear and love You that I may not scheme to get my neighbor's inheritance or house, or get it in a way that only seems right, but help and be of service to him in keeping it; through Jesus Christ, our Lord.

And though I've prayed this prayer many times, it occurred to me that I wasn't at all sure how to help and be of service to my neighbor in keeping his inheritance and house. I think it means to stand up against injustice or greed (to do the opposite of the role of Naboth's accusers!), but how does one do that in our context? Still uncertain and pondering.

Enough for the day!

No comments: