27 August 2014

You know...

...you really shouldn't drink coffee at your work station. Not when you talk with your hands. And your coffee ends up spilling on your computer.

Not that this is the first time this has happened. I usually just clean it off and truck on. So I did the same today. Only...

About half an hour later, the e stopped working. Kind of difficult to type in English without an e. Then the number 2 went out. Then the letter d decided to type itself. Yeah. So. I had called IT when the e went out, not even thinking about the spill. But by the time we figured out that it was a bit of serious problem, I was panicking.

Work to get finished today and tomorrow. Heading out to conference in MD on Friday. It CAN'T die. Fortunately, the IT whizzes at work swapped out my hard drive into a smaller MacBook Pro and so by 1 p.m. I was back in business. But with the morning hour's lost! Grr. All because of coffee. And moving hands. And talking.

I heated up my cup of coffee this afternoon and put it safely ACROSS THE ROOM on the credenza. I think I MAY have learned something. Maybe.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have a similar problem, but not caused by any liquid. Rather, it conforms to Hanlon's Razor, derived from that of Occam, which reads, “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”
I, together with millions of others, am the much to be pitied user of Word 8, or 8.1, or whatever. I think the number 666 plays prominently in it somewhere. Since I need to write a few words in Russian from time to time, I got hold of the “Virtual Russian Keyboard”, which is part of Windows 8, or 8.1, or whatever. And guess what? There are three letters missing from the key board. As I researched the matter, I found that this has been true for over a year and Microsoft has done nothing about it.

But, I agree. Doing without the letter “E” is impossible, as we all learned from Poe’s “The Gold Bug”.
Blessings to you and yours.
George A. Marquart