19 November 2016

It's an apocryphal

saying of Luther: "If I knew the world would end tomorrow, I'd plant an apple tree today." It came to mind, because my cousin posted some stunning pics of my mom's home place. And right outside the dining room there grows a majestic holly tree. You see, it was planted by Cousin Ann Field. She, as so many have done over the years, came home to die. In those days they called it Consumption. Today, it's TB. She had a disease that would take her life and in a horrible way. And what did she do? She planted a holly tree. And to this day, it gives its green leaves and red berries to decorate the old place in joyful anticipation of Christ's birth. She's been gone for over a century, but her gift endures. I hope that if my world were ending tomorrow, I'd plant a tree today too. 

No comments: